The formalities before your departure


Depending on your nationality, your situation and the length of your stay, you may need to obtain a visa to study or do university research in France.

The official website to consult is:
See also the site of “Campus France”:

For information, you arrive in France with a “Student Visa” valid for one year. If you are continuing your studies in France, you will need to apply for a “Residence permit” by making an appointment with the Prefecture (OFII), approximately 2 months before your visa expires.

Important documents:

  • Passport with student visa
  • Birth certificate (translated into French)